- 6:30 am - shower and dress, while my sweet wife is so kind to pack a lunch/dinner.
- 7:10 am - finish packing briefcase, including laptop and projector; grab a quick breakfast (a rarity on Sunday, but this will be a long day).
- 7:30 - drive 40 miles to Stake Center (Taconic Parkway to I-84) picking up Stake Presidency 2nd Counselor at the Park N Ride, since he had neck surgery and doesn't drive distances well.
- 8:30 - Ward Conference meetings with Bishopric and Ward Counsel
- 11:00 - Sacrament Meeting and I present the concluding talk.
- 12:20 - Set up projector and laptop, and introduce presentation on Family History, including New FamilySearch and FamilySearchIndexing.
- 2:00 pm - Stake Priesthood Executive Committee
- 3:30 pm - drive to New York City Upper East Side for missionary meeting with NY/NJ stake leaders. High Council member Bro. Campbell from West Point accompanies me, and we both eat the lunch that Mom has prepared as we drive. He helps guide since this is the first time I've gone down from Newburgh to the East Side instead of the "normal" route across the Henry Hudson Bridge and down the West Side to Lincoln Center.
- 5:20 pm - Smooth trip and we arrive in plenty of time to park at 1st and 89th and walk to the new NY Stake Center on 87th between 2nd and 3rd Ave. It's a lovely new 5 story building.
- 5:30 pm - Arrive early for the meeting and look around. Visit downstairs with other leaders since the High Council room is being used by Public Affairs. An Italian TV crew is interviewing several church leaders.
- 6:00 pm - Meeting with Area Authority Seventy and stake leaders, including 3 mission presidents. I was happy to greet President Checketts and give a warm hug to President Pettitt (Tim's Dad).
- 8:15 pm - Walk back to parking garage to head home (parking was $25). A brother from Danbury CT will follow us out of the city since he forgot to get directions home (you can't just reverse directions due to 1-way streets etc). We drive back past Yankee Stadium and up I-87, across the Tappen Zee Bridge into NJ then up the NY State Thruway to Newburgh. Snacked on granola bars and apples along the way.
- 10:00 - Drop Bro. Campbell off at the Stake Center after a pleasant drive and great visit discussing missionary work as well as his impending move to Ogden UT. Call Maryelen to let her know I'm on my way and head back east to Pleasant Valley over the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge where there was a fairly long line - but not for EZ-Pass, thank-you. Call Grandpa and Grandpa Brown for a nice phone visit as I drive.
- 10:45 pm - Arrive home at last after 15 hours, 231 miles of driving and $32.40 in parking and tolls. Mom has Miso Soup with tofu, and sliced pears waiting for a late snack. We talk about our days activities and then collapse in bed.
April 14, 2008
Wow, yesterday was a long day -- from morning until late at night. Although every Sunday is not like this, I thought that I'd give a flavor of what one what one atypical Sunday was like, just for the record.
Posted by DDB at 10:33 PM